Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- 1 pound Green beans (rinsed, trimmed and cut in half)
- 1 tsp Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 medium shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms (button, baby bella, and/or cremini, I prefer a mix)!
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup Oat Milk
- 1 1/2 cups Crispy fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt well – it will help season the green beans. Add green beans and cook for 5 minutes, then drain and place in an ice water bath to stop cooking. Drain and put to the side.
- In the meantime, start preparing sauce. In a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat, add vegan butter or olive oil and shallots and garlic. Season with sage, thyme, salt and pepper and stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add mushrooms and season with a bit more salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes more or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk to stir and coat the veggies. Cook for 1 minute, then slowly add in veggie stock, whisking to incorporate.
- Add Oatly next and whisk to stir again. Season with a touch more salt and pepper and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low to thicken. Cook for 5-7 minutes more, or until thick and bubbly. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Remove from heat and add 1/3 of the fried onions and all of the cooked green beans. Toss to coat well, and top with remaining fried onions.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until warmed through and bubbly and slightly browned on top. Serve immediately.
- Leftovers store well in the fridge for up to a few days.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!